The Webmaster's View ...................
Sept. 22, 2000
The Senti-Mentals -
|out on the following labels: DooPop Records in
the UK, Wolverine (Frankie Boy Records) in Germany, and Hepcat in the USA
This CD is a great compilation of jump, jive and doowop tunes. These british
boys will give you a hell of a party time of music. The 9-piece rockin' doowop
group from England mixes doowop with swing, blues and rock'n'roll in their very
own unique way. Great vocal harmony with excellent instrumental background.
If you like R&B, Jive and doowop produced with today's recording
possibilities, this CD is a must buy for you.
So let's get into the titles:
- Two Heads - a swinging rocker that should have great potential for
- Gimme Some - excellent rendition of the Harptones orginal, they
rock this one!
- Big Tough Girl - this is a relaxed mid-tempo swing with tight
harmony in the Manhattan Transfer style. Snap your fingers! (wow! what a
tenor sax break on this tune!)
- My True True Story - starting as an acapella ballad with incredible
harmony and then rocking again. Sound is like the better Rocky Sharpe
numbers - but this one is high quality! Play
- Sharks And Scary Girls - Mambo and Rockabilly mixture here (only
fair in my opinion, but what the heck: 16 hits are on this CD!)
- Never Gonna Say Goodbye - I wish I could hear the Skyliners sing
this great ballad. Only bad thing about it: Janet Vogel's voice isn't on
this recording. This is a KILLER! Play
- Little White Lies - jive in the Louis Jordan style, except that
Louis' combo was never lead by group harmony: grab your partner and dance!
- Middle Of Two - BALLAD time again - the perfect harmony of the
voices is incredible again. Play
- Jive Man Boogie - the title says it all: Jive Man Boogie!
- Creep - originally done by the UK group Radiohead, the
Senti-Mentals show how this song should sound like! Ballad!
- I Wonder When - at last: pure doowop! And at last these boys show
what they can do without instruments - so: excellent acapella mid-tempo!
Incredible how they change the key in the middle of the song.
- Sisterheart - Rock'n'Roll with group harmony background - snap your
- Under Your Skin - jive time again featured by these lady killers
- I Know Why - pure doowop again - great imitation of bells done by
the background singers, rocking! (I know why you should buy this CD :) ) Play
- Mad Bob - Hot Rod time now (wonder what they can't do)
- Mr. Sandman - I always loved this standard, excellent tight harmony
on this version featuring a beautiful Les Paul style guitar.
- Funtastico - rocking instrumental ending this CD
If you can't find the CD at your local record store, go to http://www.senti-mentals.co.uk/
to order directly from the Senti-Mentals' website.